Bedroom Progress: DIY Abstract Art


One of the major things on my to-do list for my bedroom was to buy/create art for above my bed. I was feeling very inspired and got a huge wind of confidence, so I decided to try my hand at creating abstract art.  The canvas was 50% off at Aaron Brothers, so the total cost was only $20 for canvas and paint.  

I have to tell you, although I have a background in art and painting, I was nervous about the outcome of the painting.  I decided just to go for it! I started by painting a boarder of light pink and then put a little color everywhere on the canvas.  After the middle was done, I stepped back and thought it needed some black. Just like I believe every room needs a touch of black, I think {almost} every painting does, too! The black boarder was added at the very end and layered with white and gold, taking the harshness off the stark black. I think it's the perfect touch for above the bed. It really pulls in the color of the curtains. Which, by the way, I am making this week! Please note in these photos below, the two floral pillows on the end of the bed are being replaced by the new pink pillow shams I had made.  Can't wait to get those in! Anyways, here's my new abstract art:




Oh, and while I was taking pictures of the artwork, this was happening below:
Ahh, now that's the life.

Have you tried to create your own art lately?
Have a lovely Thursday!
Love,
Photobucket

16 comments

  1. Looks great! It's been fun seeing the room evolve and I can't wait to see what you do to your new room when you move down to LA!
    www.classicallyb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes yes yes! i love! reminds me of paintings by "cocoa and hearts." i was this close to buying one of her big $400 paintings and then realized well, i might actually be able to save a whole lot of money if i try doing it myself! except i have sort of been thinking it would come out horrible, this give me motivation to just do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job - i love it! You should keep painting - would be so great for your clients to have you make them custom pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job! It is absolutely perfect for your room! The colors are so YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did SUCH a great job on this, M! Can't believe you did it yourself. The colors are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing!!!!! Can't wait to have a Michaeala original in the baby's room!! : ) And Hope is presh!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! You have talent lady. My next project is abstract art for above our couch! I can only hope ours comes out half as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a good job! I'm in love with that painting! It really does bring everything in your room together! =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous Michaela! Your artwork is beautiful...gorgeous colors and you are very talented. I love it! Hope is darling and she grew quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you made that! It's something people would TOTALLY pay money for (myself included). You're so talented!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Your painting looks so good, especially against the color of your walls. I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to create a painting for my dining room. I've purchased a canvas, but have been too scared to give it a go quite yet. I don't have a background in art or painting to fall back on...

    ReplyDelete
  13. FABULOUS and the colours work really well. I really like it and it looks fabulous in your room !

    I so tempted to do a piece for myself but like you was I am a little nervous about where to start !!

    Chrissi xo

    www.christianaholt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, how did I miss this post the first time around?! I think I was in Florida but good golly miss molly this painting is amazing! It's totally Jen Ramos style, and I LOVE that. Might have to roll up my sleeves and try my own!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top