2018 Interior Design Trends

I've been writing this post over the past couple of days and I'm so excited to share it with you! After reading a ton of articles and flipping through magazines, I'm showing you what just might be on 2018's trend radar. Now remember, just because it might be on trend, doesn't mean you have to design with it. Everyone's home is different and everyone likes different styles. You might hate some of these predictions and that's totally okay! 
First, what from 2017 is going to continue on in the new year?!
Sticking Around:

- Mixed Metals: hooray! I'll be sad to see this trend go, if it ever does. 

- Herringbone: a classic pattern, I just love this look! 3 clients put in herringbone patterns last year, so it's a really good thing this "trend" is sticking around ;) The thing is, though, even if this wasn't on the list of trends, it would still be gorgeous and a great choice for a house, as it's about as classic as they come. Did you know this pattern dates back to the building of Egyptian roads, textile design and jewelry making?

- Open Shelving: this feature gives an airy look to your space and affords you some extra space to style your goods.

Trends on the Rise for 2018:
- Color in kitchens and baths: saturated hues for cabinets, black fixtures and faucets, rugs, copper, rose gold and brass faucets -- you name it, it's getting bolder!
(side note: this is the most successful complimentary color palette used with green and red I've ever seen!)

Black faucets make for a bold statement, really highlighting the beautiful fixtures.

Brass fixtures and faucets make the room feel more elegant and collected.

source
White cabinets will still be in (I don't think this will ever go away!) but adding in some color in oriental and saturated rugs will become more popular.
- No upper cabinets & flat cabinet fronts: this might not work for everyone (I wouldn't know what to do without upper cabinets because of storage space!) but if you can manage it, I'm sure it'll make your kitchen feel much more airy and open. 

Flat cabinet fronts are also making an appearance. You can achieve this look with any style, but I think it lends itself to a modern or transitional style the best. This isn't my favorite trend, to be honest. I love the character a 5 piece drawer front gives your cabinets!
- Wallpaper: this trend will only be growing! Large scale floral patterns are being seen a lot more...
Hey, not complaining ;)

Bold geometric patterns will always be a great option for wallpaper:

Same wallpaper, but more subtle (you can find wallpaper here):
*Designer tip: if you want to use this trend but are a little scared, try a wallpaper in a powder bath! It's a small space to commit to.

- Natural materials: you'll see lots of marble in more extravagant ways! Integrated sinks, full marble backsplashes, and lots of accents. This picture below actually shows a lot of trends for 2018 in one kitchen: flat cabinets, colored fixtures, mixing metals, open shelving, more color, herringbone floors and lots of marble. Ha!
Concrete seen in counters and floors will also be a material to look out for. 
- More Pattern: As seen in the wallpaper trend already, large scale floral accents & geometric patterns will become even more. Patterns especially in tile work, will be king. 
Bone inlay in furniture will also be seen a lot. I'm SO excited about this trend and can't wait to do a post showing you some ideas on how to incorporate this in your space, even if you're on a budget.


- Terrazzo: now this is a trend I actually do not like at all! Just being honest ;) 
If you don't know what this is, it's "a composite material, poured in place or precast, which is used for floor and wall treatments. It consists of chips of marble, quartz, granite, glass, or other suitable material, poured with a cementitious binder". 
Here it is in a countertop:

They're even making fabrics with the pattern on it (I like the fabric better than the real thing!):

You can see it in flooring form here:

I tend to like things that are more vein-y and natural looking. When I choose quartz or marble or granite with clients, I tend to steer away from those that have spotted looks to them with irregular shapes and instead go towards the more subtle, flowing designs. So maybe that's why I'm not on board with this Terrazzo trend. We'll see-- maybe time will change my opinion! It also seems like it errors to the modern style, and that's just not me either, so that could be another reason I'm not drawn to it.
So, I'm curious to hear what YOU think! Tell me your favorite and your least favorite trend in the comments!
xoxo
interior design website / services / portfolio

1 comment

  1. I'd be curious to know your process for embracing/implementing/suggesting trends. For example, I am not a fan of the flat front cabinets and assume they could look dated sooner than a more traditional cabinet. (I know they can be super super expensive, but to me they are too sterile and/or look like MDF cabinets...not my style). So for clients who plan on staying in a home long term, how do you embrace trends so they last?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top